After a long time, we have decided to write an article which will be very helpful to understand our cloud solutions. In this article, we are going to talk about the different cloud solutions and the cloud solutions designed by us to offer you a high available and scalable hosting service.
Different companies have different definitions for cloud hosting. As the first Sri Lankan web hosting company to offer cloud based hosting solutions, we have a very simple and clear definition for cloud computing. Cloud is a set of pooled computing resources delivered over the Internet on demand.
Some people get confused with virtualization and cloud computing. Virtualization is not cloud computing and it does not need cloud computing, but cloud computing needs virtualization to make it a true cloud. Virtualization is dividing the physically available resources of a server logically for the optimal usage. Cloud virtualization is a set of pooled computing resources that are logically divided for the optimal usage.
The main characteristics of the cloud computing can be listed as follows;
- Resources are pooled – Resources include computing resources (CPU, Memory), storage, network resources (bandwidth, failover IP addresses, etc.)
- Delivered over the Internet on demand – All services will be available on demand whatever you want whenever you want.
- Flexibility – All cloud services are flexible and can be customizable for your business needs.
- Rapid deployment – You do not have to wait for days to deploy your cloud virtual machines like the traditional dedicated server deployments, it can be done almost instantly.
- High availability – cloud virtual machine/s will be automatically migrated to a standby node whenever there is a hardware failure of the parent node.
- Scalability – Cloud is a pool of web servers resources as per our definition. Whenever you need to have more resources or reduce the current resources based on the actual resources consumption of your website or the application, it can be easily done without worrying about complex migrations.
And there are much more characteristics.
Provider.lk offers two cloud solutions at the moment;
- Cloud virtual machines
- Cloud web hosting solutions (Linux Cloud Hosting)
We will discuss about each of these solutions in advance later, stay tuned 🙂